Sunday, August 18, 2013

Listen First

My adventure began as so many do, with an early morning, the anxiety of “surely I am forgetting something…” the tetris game of loading a van full of bags, and a long drive. At the other end we were greeted by warm and friendly MCC staff, wearing names around their necks that I recognized from many emails and phone calls.

The first activity of the evening was supper and I quickly discovered why mealtimes would be a highlight of orientation (and not only for the joy of eating delicious food). While SALT is a program that sends young adults from North America to volunteer in countries around the world, we are also sharing this orientation experience with incoming IVEP participants (International Volunteer Exchange Program), a program in which volunteers come from all over the world to help out in the US and Canada. The resulting cross-cultural experience is rich and engaging, and the sharing often comes most naturally while sharing meals together. We've connected with participants from the opposite program who come from the places closest to our own destinations, sharing stories and cultural tips with one another. Conversations begin to occur in many different languages whenever possible – French, Spanish, Indonesian, Lao, Korean, and Tonga (to name a few). Warmth, interest, courtesy, laughter, respect, openness, and did I mention laughter? These are simply some of the characteristics of this exceptional group. In just a few short days, I have seen people reach out to one another across cultural and language barriers, embracing the lives and stories of strangers and extending care and friendship.

One thing I've heard over and over again during these orientation presentations is that the key to cross-cultural relationships is to listen, listen, and listen again. In this respect, I brought a surprise secret weapon with me to orientation. I woke up the day before my departure with laryngitis... While certainly not ideal (I’m sure those who met me on Wednesday evening believed that I have a shy, reserved and quiet nature), the seemingly unfortunate loss of my voice actually turned out to be incredibly valuable as I prepare to jump into Chadian culture. What better way to force me to practice listening than by physically removing my capacity for speech!? By holding my tongue a little more than usual this week, I’ve become a more attentive participant in this temporary community of travelers. Now as my voice returns, I’m trying to remember this lesson. I’ll practice being curious, and patient. I’ll practice asking questions first and pausing to consider my contributions more carefully than I might have before. Stay tuned to see how well I remember this lesson in the future!

Orientation has given me a fabulous community of support that will soon be scattered all over the world. I will be keeping each traveler in my heart as I board my own flight, and wish well for everyone, whether they end up in Philadelphia, Vancouver, Durban, or Beirut. Travel well, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment